Butter plus eggs equal the perfect base for a solid breakfast. Start your day off right with our simple yet satisfying version of this breakfast classic. Ready in minutes!
About this Recipe
✓ 3 cups of chopped ham, loosely packed (see notes for variations)
✓ 1 16 oz package Green Split peas (plus water for soaking)
✓ 3 medium carrots (chopped into 1/2 inch thick rounds)
✓ 2 celery stalks (chopped into 1/2 inch thick slices)
✓ 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
✓ 2 tbsp fat for frying (coconut or olive oil, bacon fat, etc)
✓ 1/2 tbsp - paprika (Hungarian smoked is what we use)
✓ 1/2 tbsp - garlic powder
✓ 1/2 tbsp - sea salt
✓ 1/2 tbsp - black pepper
✓ 1 tsp medium/hot chili powder or cayenne pepper (optional)
2. Place peas in a large bowl and cover with water to soak while prepping;
3. Chop your onions and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until they start to turn translucent; Add broth and scrape bottom of pot to loosen browned bits;
4. Stir in all remaining ingredients aside from the peas;
5. Drain peas and add to the pot;
6. Set to Soup function and adjust time to 12 minutes, allow to naturally release;
7. Stir gently to combine and salt and pepper to taste when serving;
1. Soak peas in hot water for 5 minutes. Meanwhile chop veggies.;
2. Put all ingredients in the crock pot and stir to combine;
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until fully cooked. Check at 4 hours;
- This soup will thicken significantly as it stands.
- Please be sure that regardless of the combination, the total amount of meat or cooked meat substitutes do not exceed 3 cups and the level remains below the "10" mark inside the Instant Pot.
- To make it vegan or vegetarian use veggie broth, omit the ham and add a little more salt and a 1/2-1 tsp of liquid smoke to help get that smoky flavor without the meat!
- Feel free to also add whatever meat substitute you would like.
- For replacing the meat in this we liked adding 3 cups of raw potatoes (1" thick chunks) or 3 cups of COOKED lentils, rice or beans.
- Alternatively a half cup each of UNCOOKED lentils/beans & rice!
Keep everyone happy with this satisfying, cheese-topped keto-friendly main dish masterpiece. Meat pie may be a little old-school, but it’s time to rediscover its deliciousness.
Happy Taco Tuesday! Just kidding, it’s not Tuesday. That’s ok, because it doesn’t have to be Tuesday to have tacos. I believe that tacos are good for any day or every day,…
Questions & Comments
People Who’ve Made This
Yep! that's right, we've got google ads too.
we'd bet you won't even stop to click on them...
Imperfect Foods Review
Instant Pot, Vegetarian, Treats, Gluten-Free Protein-based, Smoothies, and More...
Work from home, Parenting, Exercise, Book Review, Movie Recommendations and More...